Global Business Initiative
Take On the World with Georgetown
The Global Business Initiative (GBI) seeks to distinguish the McDonough School of Business as the premier destination for global business education by partnering with other schools, organizations, and companies in Washington, D.C., and around the world.
Because Business Has No Borders
The Global Business Initiative (GBI) ensures that the global mission of Georgetown McDonough is instilled in all aspects of the student experience — from the undergraduate to MBA to executive education programs — and through the school’s global networks of alumni, employers, and partners. The initiative accomplishes this by:
- Ensuring all students have a global business experience
- Regularly updating MBA curriculum to ensure it addresses address today’s rapidly changing and increasingly connected global business network
- Driving the school’s global brand through relationships, events, and press to help ensure that all graduates will have international opportunities
- Developing global networks of students, alumni, employers and other key stakeholders
Global Business Experience
The Global Business Experience is required of all Georgetown McDonough graduate students. Working in small teams, students partner with executives from multinational organizations to address complex business challenges. Students spend six weeks on campus applying strategic business and analytical skills, with the guidance of faculty members, to develop solutions for their client, and then travel to present recommendations to senior leadership. When students return to Georgetown McDonough, they present their findings to their classmates in a conference designed to allow the entire class to form “clusters of knowledge” and become experts in the regional and cultural factors affecting various strategic topics.
GBI will implement the Global Business Experience as an elective for the Undergraduate Program in spring 2014 and is also is developing a database of these consulting projects and case studies for future use by students and faculty.
Georgetown McDonough pioneered the Global Business Experience in 1994. Since then, MBA, EMBA, and EML students have traveled to the following locations for their international consulting projects. The Global Business Experience is just the beginning for GBI. Other planned activities of the initiative include:
- Advising the dean on curriculum and research issues
- Supporting research initiatives related to global business
- Internationalizing the curriculum across all programs
- Creating globally focused alliances across Georgetown
- Internationalizing faculty development and hiring
- Collaborating with other universities and organizations
- Supporting existing global initiatives at the school