Once a Hoya, always a Hoya. The MBA Career Center is proud to support complimentary, lifelong alumni career services. Alumni have access to a wide range of continued services including networking, job postings, and professional development events. Additionally, our team of certified career coaches provides situational support, helping alumni to clarify goals, utilize available resources and strategize next steps.
MBA Career Center Overview:
The Georgetown McDonough MBA Career Center partners with students, employers, alumni, faculty, and staff to build connections to the global market and facilitate the career goals of Georgetown MBAs. Full-Time MBA, MBA Evening Program, Executive MBA, and Global Executive MBA alumni have access to a variety of job postings, events, industry-related programming, and career coaching. For more information about our team, please review our biographies.
MBA Alumni Career Coaching Services:
Our team of dedicated, certified, career management coaches provides industry-specific guidance to MBAs seeking support with job searches, career transitions, and professional advancement. Career Coaches work in a 14-industry alignment to cultivate career opportunities that are as industry-specific as possible.
MBA Alumni Career Coaching: What to Expect
Alumni who are clear on their target industry are connected with one of our industry-specific coaches. Additionally, we offer clarification coaching as a first step for alumni who are still determining their target industry. The alum and coach will arrange a conversation (by phone, Skype, or in-person) to discuss goals and available resources.
Based on career objectives, the alum and coach will create a plan for next steps. Topics for session(s) could include any of the following: resume and cover letter reviews, target company strategy, networking plan, mock interviews, job search strategy, LinkedIn Profile reviews, and offer negotiation.
How to Connect with a Career Coach:
If you are interested in a career coaching session, please email us at email@example.com with the subject "Alumni Career Coaching" and include the following:
• Full name
• Email address
• Phone number
• Degree program (e.g., full-time MBA, MBA Evening Program, etc.)
• Graduation year
• Current or most recent employer
• Current or most recent job title
• Target industry and function
• Reason you seek coaching
• A copy of your resume
• Best time for coaching and method of contact (by phone, Skype, or in-person)
This information will help us pair you with the career coach best suited to meet your needs. Once it is received, a Career Center staff member will contact you regarding next steps.
Key Alumni Career Resources:
Georgetown MBA Career Connection (GMCC): Georgetown MBA alumni may post or apply for jobs using GMCC. This platform also houses listings for networking events. To login or register for access, click here.
Free Resume & Cover Letter Reviews: In addition to the one-on-one coaching provided by the MBA Career Center, (e.g., resume review, job search strategy), Georgetown MBA alumni have access to a free virtual resume review service through Georgetown Alumni Career Services. Please submit by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a job description (if available).
Alumni Career Network: A resource for all Georgetown University alumni, allowing fellow Hoyas from across the globe to connect within a network of 18,000 alumni from various graduation years, schools and courses of study.
Alumni Webinar Series: Offered by Georgetown Alumni Career Services, this ongoing series of online presentations and networking events covers a range of topics related to professional and personal development.
Job Search Guide for Alumni: An overview of best practices for the various job search stages, including resume structure, interviewing, salary negotiation, networking, and more.
Linked In Groups: Connect with alumni from across the University in the “Georgetown University Alumni” Group and with MSB alumni in the “Georgetown University McDonough School of Business Alumni” Group.
Twitter: Throughout the year, stay up to date with important Industry trends, career tips, and recruiting reminders through our Twitter account @MSBGU_MBACareer
Alumni Volunteer Opportunities:
- Job Postings - If you are aware of job openings in your organization that are MBA appropriate, please consider posting them to our students in our Georgetown MBA Career Connection (GMCC) recruiting database. To post a position, click here.
- Participation in Career Days - During the year, many of our student clubs organize Career Days, or educational conferences that are focused on career paths in various disciplines. Alumni play an enormous role in these events, as speakers, panelists, and guests. If you are interested in contributing to a functional day based on your area of expertise, please contact MBACareerCenter@georgetown.edu.
- Volunteer to Give Mock Interviews - Interview preparation is critical for success in the job search and our alumni are great resources for our students’ preparation. There are opportunities for alumni volunteers to deliver behavioral interviews, technical interviews, or industry-specific interviews (e.g. Case Interviews). We are looking for alumni to assist with individual student interview requests or as part of our interviewing specific programs such as the Graduate Student Consulting Group’s Case Certification Program. Time commitment can vary and is flexible based on your schedule. If you are interested in serving as a mock interview volunteer, please contact MBACareerCenter@georgetown.edu.
- Host a group of students at your organization - Difficult to break away from the office? A great way to interact with and educate current MBA students is to host a group in your office. The group size is entirely up to you, and the MBA Career Center can handle all signups and RSVPs. The event can be purely educational, or can be used to promote a job opening. If you are interested in hosting students, please contact MBACareerCenter@georgetown.edu.
- Attend a Career Trek Networking Event - Each of our four Treks - New York, Boston, and Hong Kong (October), and San Francisco (January) – include an alumni happy hour and networking event. We use the Georgetown McDonough MBA alumni database to generate invitations according to location. If you are in one of these four cities, keep an eye out for your invitation!
- Be a Mentor through the Wall Street Alliance - The Wall Street Alliance, a New York based alumni organization, has generously coordinated with our office to offer a mentorship program to students interning in Financial Services functions in NYC for the summer. If you are a member of the WSA and are interested in participating, keep an eye out for a late spring invitation.