About Global Business Initiative
ABOUT THE GLOBAL BUSINESS INITIATIVE
Because Business Has No Borders
The Global Business Initiative (GBI) works to distinguish Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business as the premier destination for global business education.
GBI ensures that the global mission of Georgetown McDonough is evident throughout all aspects of the student experience — from the undergraduate to MBA to executive education programs — and through the school’s networks with alumni, employers, and partners at Georgetown and around the world. The initiative accomplishes this by:
- Managing Global Business Experiences for all students
- Enriching curricula with global content
- Driving the school’s global brand through relationships, events, and press
- Developing global networks with multiple stakeholders
GLOBAL BUSINESS EXPERIENCE
The Global Business Experience is required of all Georgetown McDonough graduate students. Working in small teams, students partner with executives from multinational organizations to address complex business challenges. Students spend six weeks on campus applying strategic business and analytical skills, with the guidance of faculty members, to develop solutions for their client. The experience culminates in a week-long trip to present recommendations to senior leadership.
The experience does not end there. GBI expanded the Global Business Experience in fall 2012 to complement the revised MBA curriculum and allow the students to better learn from one another. Now students return to Georgetown McDonough for a concluding conference to present their findings to their classmates, allowing the entire class to form “clusters of knowledge” and become experts in the regional and cultural factors affecting various strategic topics.
GBI will implement the Global Business Experience for undergraduate students in spring 2014 and also is developing a database of these consulting projects and case studies for future use by students and faculty.
Georgetown McDonough pioneered the Global Business Experience in 1994. Since then, MBA, EMBA, and EML students have traveled to the following locations for their international consulting projects.
“We embrace a global mindset in all we do at Georgetown McDonough, and this initiative will maximize our students’ opportunities for truly transformational experiences that lead to a greater understanding of how business operates around the world.” — David A. Thomas,
Dean of the McDonough School of Business
The Global Business Experience is just the beginning for GBI. Other planned activities of the initiative include:
- Advising the dean on curriculum and research issues
- Supporting research initiatives related to global business
- Internationalizing the curriculum across all programs
- Creating globally focused alliances across Georgetown
- Internationalizing faculty development and hiring
- Collaborating with other universities and organizations
- Supporting existing global initiatives at the school