Alumni Relations Celebrates a Year of Engagement, Learning, and Connection in 2022
The mission of the Office of Alumni Relations is to engage our global and vibrant alumni community in meaningful ways, enable authentic relationships, innovate to meet the needs of our community, and leverage Jesuit values to care for the success and well-being of all members. Our alumni base is a global network of leaders spanning corporations and industries across the world. Through various events and opportunities, our alumni continue to connect with and give back to the Georgetown community.
The Georgetown McDonough Office of Alumni Relations aims to support and nurture the McDonough alumni community through numerous engagement opportunities throughout the year. The 2022 Year in Review is a snapshot of the key opportunities hosted by the Office of Alumni Relations in 2022 along with the number of engaged alumni per opportunity.
Our Partners in Leadership, Learning and Research (PILLARs) work closely with the McDonough School of Business to prepare our students for a rapidly evolving global world through a variety of opportunities. In 2022, our alumni were guest speakers in the classroom, mentors during office hours, and hosts at their workplace. The PILLARs program gives students an opportunity to learn from professionals in the workplace while making connections for the future.
In 2022, our alumni participated and took advantage of many Lifelong Learning opportunities including four courses throughout the year. During the spring, summer, and fall semesters, alumni joined and audited courses to continue their education and further their engagement with Georgetown McDonough.
John Carroll Weekend
Our 2022 John Carroll Weekend took place in Nashville, Tennessee. Georgetown McDonough welcomed alumni, students, parents, and friends to Nashville for two signature McDonough events including a Pivot Program Panel and a Sustainability Tour and Reception.
At the John Carroll Awards Dinner, Emily Chen Carrera (B’88) and Stephen Ray Mitchell (W’86, EMBA’13, P’15) were honored with the 2020 John Carroll Award for their achievements and record of service exemplifying the ideals of Georgetown University and its founder.
In May 2022, Georgetown McDonough honored and celebrated the classes of both 2022 and 2020. In successive weekends, the classes of 2022 and 2020 walked across the stage on Healy Lawn as they transitioned from eager students to alumni. Over 200 alumni from the class of 2020 returned to campus to celebrate their graduation after a postponed ceremony due to COVID-19.
The undergraduate class of 2020 was gifted non-fungible tokens (NFTs) by the Office of Alumni Relations and the Undergraduate Program Dean in partnership with Reservoir NFT, a start-up founded by two current MBA students, Julian Oquendo (MBA’23) and James Azar (MBA’23).
Undergraduate Alumni Reunion
The first weekend in June, undergraduate alumni from all across Georgetown University gathered to celebrate their milestone reunion. Over 80 events were hosted over the weekend, including several alumni panels and lectures.
At the 2022 reunion weekend, Soul Hoya Alumni celebrated the launch of the Black Alumni Council. The Soul Hoya Alumni Group is primarily composed of Black alumni of Georgetown University. It was established in 2009 to foster social camaraderie, plan community service, and support scholarships for current Georgetown students.
500+ Alumni and Guests
West Coast Sustainability Tour
After being postponed due to COVID-19, Georgetown McDonough gathered with alumni, students, family, and friends in Seattle and San Francisco to discuss the topic of sustainability and business.
In Seattle, alumni gathered for lunch at the Starbucks Reserve Roastery. Georgetown McDonough also hosted an evening networking event followed by a reception with Dean Prashant Malaviya and Professor Vishal Agrawal.
In San Francisco, alumni gathered together over a shared meal to discuss their role as ambassadors for Georgetown McDonough. The following evening, Dean Malaviya was joined by alumna Sally Gilligan (B’94), chief growth transformation officer at GAP Inc., for the Business of Fashion Panel and Reception.
MBA Happy Hours
This summer, our MBA students and alumni connected throughout the country over shared experiences and mixed drinks. In Chicago, New York, San Francisco, and Washington D.C., our students and alumni gathered with one another to network and converse.
170 MBA Alumni and Students
Graduate Alumni Reunion
This fall, nearly 300 graduate alumni and guests gathered on campus to celebrate their reunions. With a weekend of festivities, including an alumni panel, an afternoon picnic, and an awards dinner, it was a memorable weekend for alumni and friends. Throughout the course of the weekend, $33,000 was raised in support of Georgetown McDonough scholarships.
The 2022 Reunion Planning Committee led the planning and scheduling for the weekend’s festivities. The 2022 Graduate Alumni Reunion featured an alumni panel discussing the topic,“Alumni Insights for Overcoming Adversity and Building Resilience.” The 27 members of the reunion planning committee created a successful schedule of events as they welcomed their classmates back to the Hilltop.
300 Alumni and Guests
In 2022, the Office of Alumni Relations hosted four Skills Days focusing on Python, Excel, and Excel for Personal Finance. These Skills Days allow alumni to continue their education and grow their experiences through the skills and knowledge of fellow alumni.
600+ Online Alumni
- The AI, Analytics, and the Future of Work Initiative seeks to address issues regarding the economic and social transformations brought by digital technology. Alumni work in collaboration with the initiative and as members of the advisory group to set the vision for the Future of Work Initiative.
- The Georgetown McDonough Board of Advisors work directly with the dean and administrative leadership to advance the mission of the school of business. The Board of Advisors includes 13 alumni on the executive committee and 55 alumni on the board of advisors. These alumni guide and grow the vision of Georgetown McDonough in collaboration with senior leadership.
- The mission of Business for Impact is to unleash the power of business to help people prosper and the planet thrive. In 2022, alumni and their organizations partnered with Business for Impact to grow the social, environment, and economic impact of business around the world.
- The Business of Sustainability Initiative primarily focuses on sustainability within the context of business. Georgetown McDonough alumni support and engage with the Business of Sustainability Initiative through student consulting projects, faculty collaboration, guest speakers, and more.
- The Committee for Impactful Relationships for C-Level Executives (CIRCLE) is an alumni advisory committee that works to elevate the school’s execute-level degree programs. In 2022, the 17 members of the CIRCLE gathered and connected to grow the mission and success of the executive-level degree programs.
- Georgetown Entrepreneurship supports alumni in their entrepreneurial endeavors by providing resources, connections, and much more. Georgetown McDonough alumni have participated in the Georgetown Startup Accelerator, are members of the Georgetown Entrepreneurship Alliance, and work at the Venture Lab. Alumni start-ups and initiatives were supported by Georgetown Entrepreneurship throughout the year.
- The Global Business Initiative (GBI) seeks to distinguish McDonough as the premier destination for global business education. The GBI partners with local schools, organizations, and leaders to provide students with opportunities to travel abroad, learn about specific industries, and engage with different cultures. The Global Business Advisory Board includes alumni who enhance the school’s ability to position itself as a leader in global business education.
- The MBA Alumni Advisory Council (MAAC) advises Georgetown McDonough’s dean and senior associate dean for MBA programs on MBA curricular, co-curricular, and alumni programs. The 38 members of MAAC partner with the school of business to increase active engagement of alumni and to promote broader alumni engagement in activities critical to the success of the school.
- The Steers Center for Global Real Estate is a top tier experiential learning program for Georgetown students. Alumni stay connected and bolster the community following graduation, and they are critical to the growing network of the Steers Center Real Estate Alliance. In 2022, alumni and students connected through panels, class visits, events, and more.
Alumni are essential to supporting the financial aid offerings of the McDonough School of Business. In 2022, over 4,000 Georgetown McDonough alumni donated $31,938,939 in support of financial aid and support for the students and community. Our alumni are key contributors to our giving throughout the year, and their impact is felt across the campus by students, faculty, and friends of Georgetown McDonough.
4,281 Alumni Donors
2023 Preview and Key Highlights
Mark your calendars for our key events and opportunities coming up in 2023.
Florida Alumni Reception
In January 2023, Georgetown McDonough will head to southern Florida to connect with alumni. Join Dean Paul Almeida and Jeff Reid, founding director of Georgetown Entrepreneurship, in Miami on January 24 for an Alumni Reception. Alumni and friends of Georgetown McDonough are invited to the de la Cruz Collection for an evening of cocktails and conversation in Miami.
John Carroll Weekend
Georgetown University will gather in San Francisco for John Carroll Weekend on April 20-23. Georgetown McDonough will host two key events during the weekend, including a kickoff reception and panel discussion in partnership with Georgetown Entrepreneurship. Join us next spring to celebrate alumni and friends of the university who are doing incredible work, and to enjoy all the architecture, history, and culture San Francisco has to offer.
The 2023 Georgetown McDonough Graduate Commencement will take place on Friday, May 19, and the Undergraduate Commencement will take place on Saturday, May 20. The weekend’s celebrations will kick off on Thursday, May 18, with Senior Convocation on Healy Lawn. Commencement is a special weekend on campus as the Class of 2023 is promoted from student to alumni. View the entire weekend’s event schedule.
Undergraduate Alumni Reunion
All undergraduate alumni from the classes of 1968, 1973, 1978, 1983, 1988, 1993, 1998, 2003, 2008, 2013, and 2018, as well as our Magis alumni (Class of 1972 and before), are invited back to campus for a weekend of celebration on June 2-4, 2023. More information will be released in the spring, until then, alumni are invited to save the date and let their classmates know they will be attending this summer.
MBA Happy Hours
To kick off the 2023 summer season, we will invite our MBA alumni and students to a local happy hour in major cities throughout the country. These MBA happy hours are a great opportunity for our students and alumni to connect with one another in their region as summer internships and experiences begin for students.
Graduate Alumni Reunion
The 2023 Graduate Alumni Reunion will take place on September 29-30, 2023, at Georgetown University campus. The graduate classes of 1983, 1988, 1993, 1998, 2003, 2008, 2013, and 2018 are invited to celebrate their milestone reunions at the Rafik B. Hariri Building this fall, including the 40th anniversary of the first MBA class. Alumni are invited to pre-register for the 2023 Graduate Alumni Reunion to stay up to date on the planning and communications for this year’s event.
Update your information with the Office of Alumni Relations to stay up to date on all the happenings and communications at Georgetown McDonough.