Diamond Anniversary for Georgetown McDonough
Posted in News Story
The McDonough School of Business turns 60 this academic year, and members of the school’s community are planning many ways to commemorate this milestone–starting this fall through December 2017.
Some 300 students, faculty, and staff kicked off the celebration on September 7 by marching onto the lawn next to the school’s Rafik B. Hariri Building to form a 40 foot x 60 foot number 60 for an aerial photograph and time-lapse video. Participants were rewarded for their efforts with an ice cream social following the photo opportunity.
Some other anniversary activities planned include:
- Video contest that will launch next month in which Georgetown students, alumni, faculty, and staff will show how they are living the part of the school’s mission regarding service to society;
- Memorabilia and historic facts showcase;
- Where in the World is Jack the Bulldog social media campaign using cardboard cut-outs of Jack that will be part of our fall Georgetown Business magazine;
- Speaker events;
- Creation of a 60th anniversary design mark;
- Special coverage in Georgetown Business magazine;
- Among others.
“I encourage our entire community to participate in our 60th anniversary celebration,” said Rohan Williamson, interim dean, who has been part of Georgetown McDonough for 20 years as a finance faculty member. “We have accomplished so much over the last 60 years. This is an inflection point for us to now focus on continuing our upward trajectory and defining what we will celebrate as success in our future.”
In 1957, the School Business Administration grew out of the School of Foreign Service, which was founded in 1919. We adopted the McDonough name in 1998 in appreciation of a $30 million gift (the largest in the university’s history at that time) from RemedyTemp Inc. founder and chairman Robert E. McDonough Sr., who said he fell “in love at first sight” with Georgetown University when he first stepped onto its campus as a student. McDonough earned his degree in 1949 while the school was still part of SFS.
Members of Georgetown McDonough’s 60th Anniversary Committee are:
- Patricia Buchek, senior assistant dean, MBA career center (co-chair)
- Chris M. Kormis, associate dean and chief marketing officer (co-chair)
- Jennifer Boettcher, business reference librarian
- Lynn Doran, teaching professor, finance
- Vicki Gates, associate director of HR administration
- Sharon Gibson, director of development
- Neluka Levy, director of events
- Teresa Mannix, assistant dean for communications
- Douglas McCabe, professor of management
- Justine Schaffner, assistant dean of alumni and external relations
- Michelle Sheahan, associate director, undergraduate programs