Georgetown McDonough MBA students have the unique opportunity to earn a Certificate in Global Real Estate. This certificate’s development emerged from research that included a growing interest in real estate and feedback from students, alumni, and real estate professionals. It builds upon the numerous offerings from the school’s Steers Center for Global Real Estate, as well as the strength of the alumni network.
The certificate is open to both Full-time and Flex MBA students, including those currently enrolled. It will equip students with the experiences and skills necessary to compete in the commercial real estate job market and make an impact in the field. A collaboration between the Steers Center for Global Real Estate and the MBA program, the certificate merges the rigor and reputation of the Georgetown MBA with the experiential nature and individualized attention of the Steers Center.
Questions about the certificate? Contact Matthew Cypher at email@example.com, academic director of the certificate, for questions related to academic and course requirements. Contact Cheryl Laing, marketing and recruitment coordinator of the Steers Center for Global Real Estate, at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions related to the applications and admissions.
Enrollment is limited and will be based on the application submitted to the certificate’s faculty.
The certificate program is designed for and limited to enrolled McDonough MBA students. At the beginning of their second semester, Full-time and Flex MBA students are invited to participate through an application process. Flex students can also apply in their second year if they are graduating in the spring of their third year or later.
Admitted students who successfully complete the certificate requirements upon graduation will receive notation of this distinction on their official university transcript.
For more details, visit the Canvas Certificate Information page.
Certificate Elective Requirements: 7.5 elective credits
Students who elect to enroll in the certificate program will take a 7.5-credit sequence of MBA elective courses to develop a strong foundational understanding in theoretical and applied aspects of commercial real estate. Upon graduation from the MBA Program, students will receive a notation on their official university transcript along with a certificate of completion.
No registration priority is provided to courses
Real Estate Elective Requirements (1.5 credits)
- Real Estate Private Equity (FINC 558, 1.5 credits): This course introduces the world of private equity real estate investment with a particular focus on answering the question, “What is the real estate asset worth?” (Registration priority provided to admitted RE certificate students)
Real Estate Elective Choice (4.5 credits)
- Real Estate Public Debt (FINC 567): The goal for this course is for you to learn the mechanics and concepts of pricing risk in traded real estate debt, with particular focus on commercial mortgage-backed securities (“CMBS”) and related securities.
- Real Estate Private Debt (FINC 568): Debt financing is an integral part of value creation in real estate. Yet, beyond returns, often investors will not spend commensurate time to understand and analyze their financing and capital markets strategies.
- Real Estate Public Equity (FINC 569) The instructor for this course is a former CFO of a publicly traded REIT. The course will seek to develop a deep understanding of the modern real estate investment trust (REIT), and its role in today’s capital and real estate markets.
- Real Estate Entrepreneurship (FINC 571): This course will introduce students, who have an interest in creating their own real estate business, to the key elements they will need to get off the ground and become successful entrepreneurs.
- Real Estate Clinic: Multifamily (FINC 573): The Real Estate Clinic is designed to prepare students for MBA level careers at institutional real estate investment firms by exposing them to the practice of underwriting real estate investments.
- Real Estate Clinic: Commercial (FINC 574): The Real Estate Clinic is designed to prepare students for MBA level careers at institutional real estate investment firms by exposing them to the practice of underwriting real estate investments.
Real Estate Intensive Electives
- BADM 748 Real Estate Development (ILE)
Elective Choice (1.5 credit)
Certificate requires 1.5 credits from the following courses:
- FINC 576 Entrepreneurial Finance and Venture Capital
- FINC 579 Valuation
- FINC 604 Financial Analysis & Modeling
- MGMT 670 Negotiations
*Off-list courses including non-MBA courses with appropriate approval from certificate academic director
*Electives cannot be double counted toward more than one MBA certificate
*This list of MBA electives serves as a guide. It is subject to change and does not represent a guarantee that specific courses will be offered in specific academic years.
Suggested Timeline of Courses
Full Time Students
Illustrative Flex 28 Month Execution
The 28-month Flex student is viewed as the most restrictive case for attaining the certificate thus the specific reference to this category.
- Jonathan Tower – Managing Partner of Arctaris Impact Investors
- Hrish Lotlikar – Co-Founder and CEO, SuperWorld
- Chris Nassetta – President and CEO, Hilton worldwide
Atara Kaufman Professor of the Practice and Director of the Steers Center for Global Real Estate