Georgetown McDonough MBA students have the unique opportunity to earn a Certificate in Global Real Estate. This certificate’s development emerged from research that included a growing interest in real estate and feedback from students, alumni, and real estate professionals. It builds upon the numerous offerings from the school’s Steers Center for Global Real Estate, as well as the strength of the alumni network.
The certificate is open to both Full-time and Flex MBA students, including those currently enrolled. It will equip students with the experiences and skills necessary to compete in the commercial real estate job market and make an impact in the field. A collaboration between the Steers Center for Global Real Estate and the MBA program, the certificate merges the rigor and reputation of the Georgetown MBA with the experiential nature and individualized attention of the Steers Center.
Questions about the certificate? Contact Matthew Cypher at email@example.com, academic director of the certificate, for questions related to academic and course requirements.
Certificate Elective Requirements: 7.5 elective credits
Students who elect to enroll in the certificate program will take a 7.5-credit sequence of MBA elective courses to develop a strong foundational understanding in theoretical and applied aspects of commercial real estate. Upon graduation from the MBA Program, students will receive a notation on their official university transcript along with a certificate of completion.
No registration priority is provided to courses
Real Estate Elective Requirements (1.5 credits)
- Real Estate Private Equity (FINC 6560, 1.5 credits): This course introduces the world of private equity real estate investment with a particular focus on answering the question, “What is the real estate asset worth?” (Registration priority provided to admitted RE certificate students)
Real Estate Elective Choice (4.5 credits)
- Real Estate Public Debt (FINC 6561): The goal for this course is for you to learn the mechanics and concepts of pricing risk in traded real estate debt, with particular focus on commercial mortgage-backed securities (“CMBS”) and related securities.
- Real Estate Private Debt (FINC 6562): Debt financing is an integral part of value creation in real estate. Yet, beyond returns, often investors will not spend commensurate time to understand and analyze their financing and capital markets strategies.
- Real Estate Public Equity (FINC 6563) The instructor for this course is a former CFO of a publicly traded REIT. The course will seek to develop a deep understanding of the modern real estate investment trust (REIT), and its role in today’s capital and real estate markets.
- Real Estate Entrepreneurship (FINC 6565): This course will introduce students, who have an interest in creating their own real estate business, to the key elements they will need to get off the ground and become successful entrepreneurs.
- Real Estate Clinic: Multifamily (FINC 6566): The Real Estate Clinic is designed to prepare students for MBA level careers at institutional real estate investment firms by exposing them to the practice of underwriting real estate investments.
- Real Estate Clinic: Commercial (FINC 6567): The Real Estate Clinic is designed to prepare students for MBA level careers at institutional real estate investment firms by exposing them to the practice of underwriting real estate investments.
Real Estate Intensive Electives
- BADM 6048 Real Estate Development (ILE)
Elective Choice (1.5 credit)
Certificate requires 1.5 credits from the following courses:
- FINC 6576 Entrepreneurial Finance and Venture Capital
- FINC 6531 Valuation
- FINC 6532 Financial Analysis & Modeling
- MGMT 6535 Negotiations
*Off-list courses including non-MBA courses with appropriate approval from certificate academic director
*Electives cannot be double counted toward more than one MBA certificate
*This list of MBA electives serves as a guide. It is subject to change and does not represent a guarantee that specific courses will be offered in specific academic years.
Suggested Timeline of Courses
Full Time Students
Illustrative Flex 28 Month Execution
The 28-month Flex student is viewed as the most restrictive case for attaining the certificate thus the specific reference to this category.
- Jonathan Tower – Managing Partner of Arctaris Impact Investors
- Hrish Lotlikar – Co-Founder and CEO, SuperWorld
- Chris Nassetta – President and CEO, Hilton worldwide