A diverse student body is integral to developing the university’s global mindset, and Georgetown encourages students from around the world to join the community of scholars and professionals at the McDonough School of Business. Our MBA students hail from 46 countries across the globe. In addition, many of our students speak more than one language and have lived, studied, or worked abroad.
International students also are encouraged to share the cultures of their home countries with classmates both informally and through organized events. Many of these activities are planned by student organizations such as the Middle East Graduate Alliance, the Asia Business Consortium, the European Business Association, the Japan Club, the Latin American Business Association, and the South Asian Business Alliance. These organizations host cultural events and activities, organize trips and outings, and lead initiatives to explore global career opportunities in international markets.
At the annual International Festival, students gather to share the cuisine, dress, culture, and customs from their home countries with the rest of the MBA community. This family-friendly event often includes dance and cultural demonstrations and boasts attendance of more than 300 MBA students and family members each year.
As part of our commitment to your academic success, Georgetown’s McDonough School of Business provides a variety of resources to assist international students throughout their time in the MBA program. These resources and workshops include:
- An optional three-week, pre-term course, English Skills for Graduate Students, that teaches practical techniques and effective strategies for reading, writing, and presenting business concepts both in the classroom and in professional settings.
- An International Student Orientation designed specifically to address the needs and concerns of international students when starting the MBA program.
- A course in cross-cultural business practices designed to enhance internship experiences that take place in a location outside one’s home country.
- Workshops with immigration attorneys and employment authorization experts to help students understand the regulations and paperwork around MBA visa and immigration issues, including student visas and F-1 visas.
- A dedicated representative on the Student Government Association, the vice president for international, whose responsibilities include advocating for the international student population.
- Dedicated advisors in the Office of Global Services to guide international students in both academic and cultural scenarios.
As part of its mission to incorporate a global mindset into the classroom experience, Georgetown McDonough also attracts international business leaders to speak to students on campus. Recent speakers at the McDonough School of Business include:
- Jose Maria Aznar, former president, Spain
- Richard Branson, founder, Virgin Group
- Juan Jose Daboub, The World Bank
- Mariano de Beer, CEO, Telefonica Brazil
- Vicente Fox, former president, Mexico
- Abdul Kalam, former president, India
- Sanjay Khosla, president, developing markets, Kraft Foods
- Aleksander Kwasniewski, former president, Poland
- Anne-Marie Palsson, Parliament of Sweden
- Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Bank
McDonough Communities in the NewsAll Global News
MSF Students Deliver Consulting Presentations Around the Globe
Students in the Master of Science in Finance (MSF) program completed their Global Consulting Projects this April, traveling across the world to present their analysis and recommendations to a wide…
May 9, 2023
Georgetown Students Travel Across the Globe for Business Consulting Projects
Graduate and undergraduate students at Georgetown’s McDonough School of Business recently traveled around the world, met with multinational and regional clients, and immersed themselves in local…
April 27, 2023
Kendall Deighan (MBA’23) on Enhancing the Monetization Model and Marketing Strategy of a Vietnam-Based Nonprofit
Kendall Deighan (MBA’23) is in the final year of her studies for the MBA program at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business. This past March, Deighan traveled to Vietnam as part of…
April 17, 2023