This virtual workshop provides an in-depth look at the Georgetown MBA application process. Associate Director of MBA admissions Glen Nuenighoff offers tips on how to best prepare the application components.Watch Application Workshop
The Admissions Committee takes a holistic approach to the evaluation process, meaning we consider all aspects of your application to determine if you can handle the rigor of the Georgetown MBA Program and to discover if our program is the best “fit” for you. Each element of the application is reviewed by the Admissions Committee to learn about you as a student, a professional, and on a personal level.
Students in the Full-time and Flex MBA Programs at Georgetown McDonough come from a wide variety of educational fields of study and professional industries. Our Full-time and Flex MBA Program class profiles offer an overview of our most recent class of MBA students.
Returning users: Log in to continue or complete your application
All complete applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. ET on the deadline day.
|Application Deadline||Decision Notification||Deposit Due*|
|Round 1||October 2, 2023||December 7, 2023||February 1, 2024|
|Round 2||January 4, 2024||March 18, 2024||April 18, 2024|
|Round 3||March 26, 2024||May 1, 2024||May 13, 2024|
|Round 4||April 30, 2024||May 29, 2024||June 5, 2024|
*To formally accept an offer of admission, an initial, non-refundable $2,000 deposit is required to reserve your seat in the class. Expect a second deposit requirement. Details will be shared with you at a later date.
Preparing your MBA application can be a lengthy process. That is why we’ve carefully chosen our admissions components so you only have to submit one written essay, one video essay, one letter of recommendation, and unofficial documents to apply.
The Admissions Committee reviews completed applications that include the components listed below. Please allow several weeks after the application deadline for your application materials to be processed and for our team to update your application status online. Decisions are released through your online application by the published notification date.
- Application Form
- Test score*
- Application Fee
- Interview (invitation only)
- International applicants
*Flex MBA and Flex MBA Online applicants may qualify for a test waiver. Review our Flex MBA test waiver policy.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for both the Full-time and Flex MBA Programs must submit separate applications with a different email address for each program.
- The Flex MBA Online (FXO) program is strictly for students who reside in the United States, including international students who have permanent residency in the United States or already reside in the United States on a visa (this program does not sponsor F-1 visas). If you are admitted and enroll to FXO, you are expected to attend classes online from any time zone within the United States according to Eastern Time (ET).
- Your online application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. ET on the deadline date. Applications that are received after the deadline will be considered for the next admissions round.
- Documents submitted to the Georgetown University McDonough School of Business become the property of Georgetown University and will not be returned to the applicant.
- Should you be admitted, you will receive a conditional offer and will be required to mail all original/official copies of each application document (test scores, transcripts, degree certificates) to the Admissions Office. Discrepancies between self-reported/unofficial documents and official records may result in an admissions offer being rescinded.
- If any application materials are found to be forged, falsified, or altered in any way, the university will notify all relevant officials, including the individual or institution issuing the document and, as appropriate, immigration officers. If an offer of admission has been made, it may be rescinded.
- If you are a visually-impaired applicant and need an accessible application, please contact us at email@example.com and we’d be happy to assist.
All applications must be submitted through our online application by creating your application account. If you are a visually-impaired applicant and need an accessible application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to assist.
Test Score Requirements
Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) / Graduate Record Exam (GRE)/Executive Assessment
Scores accepted to the Full-time MBA Program include:
- GMAT, GRE, Executive Assessment (valid scores, taken within the last five years)
- Expired GMAT/GRE scores
- Applicants who meet the necessary criteria may apply with a test waiver. PLEASE NOTE: For additional dates and details for the Test Waiver Application during each application round, please view the policy page
Scores accepted to the Flex MBA Program and Flex MBA Online Program include:
- GMAT, GRE, Executive Assessment (valid scores, taken within the last five years)
- Expired GMAT/GRE scores
- LSAT, MCAT, and PCAT
- Applicants who meet the necessary criteria may apply with a test waiver
Scores accepted to the MAAP MBA Program include:
- GMAT, GRE
To complete your application, you must upload an unofficial, scanned copy of your test score directly into the online application. Official scores only need to be submitted if you are admitted to the program.
GMAT Program Codes
- Full-time MBA Program: JT7-G0-20
- Flex MBA Program: JT-G0-64
If you would like to test your GMAT skills prior to taking the test, take this GMAT mini quiz.
GRE Program Code
- Full-time and Flex MBA Programs: 7821
- The Executive Assessment is specifically designed to evaluate the business school readiness of seasoned professionals. The assessment focuses on skills that are critical both at work and in a professional MBA program: higher-order reasoning, critical thinking, analysis, and problem-solving. Because it was designed specifically for experienced professionals, it requires modest preparation, takes only 90 minutes to complete, and includes flexible rescheduling options. The test is administered by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), creators of the GMAT® exam. Learn more about the Executive Assessment by visiting gmac.com/ea.
International applicants are required to submit additional application components.
You are required to hold a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or an equivalent degree from a foreign country. To complete your application, you must upload unofficial transcripts for all academic coursework you have taken directly into the online application. Please make sure each transcript document includes:
- Course names
- All grades received (including transfer credits and study abroad programs)
- Cumulative GPA
- Degree conferral information
- Grading scale
- For more information on how to submit your grading scale, please view our Grade Scale Guide.
- Degree certificate (international applicants only)
- For more information on submitting your degree certificate, please view our Diploma Guide.
Official transcripts should only be submitted if you are admitted to the program.
Fall 2024 Essays
We want to hear your story. When responding to our required essays, be authentic and take time to reflect on your goals and past experiences. Craft a response that explains how these experiences led you to pursue an MBA.
Our goal at Georgetown McDonough is to craft a diverse class with people who have had varying personal and professional life experiences. As such, we want to give our applicants the opportunity to select one essay (from a list of three) that allows them the ability to best highlight their experiences, characteristics, and values that showcase the value proposition that they can bring to the McDonough community. Please select one of the following three essays to complete in 500 words (approximately two pages, double spaced) and include the essay prompt and your first/last name at the top of your submission.
- Essay Option One – Georgetown Community
Our mission is rooted in Jesuit principles of equality and respect for everyone and an ethos of caring for the whole person. Inclusivity and diversity are core to supporting a community of people with an intersectional understanding of themselves and the world around them. Share how your educational, familial, cultural, economic, social, and/or other individual life experiences will contribute to the diversity of perspectives and ideas at Georgetown University.
- Essay Option Two – Leave Your Legacy
Commitment to service and community is an important value that Hoyas share across Georgetown McDonough’s 40+ MBA student-run clubs and organizations, nine centers and initiatives, and various other co-curricular activities. What do you want your legacy to be as a McDonough student and alumni? Be as specific as possible.
- Essay Option Three – Magis
Magis is a Jesuit value that instills the sense of achieving “more” or “greater” excellence. Share how you achieved magis during a professional experience as evidenced on your resume. Describe why this experience exemplified excellence and what about your involvement (i.e. strengths or skills) contributed to the excellence.
- Video Essay: Building a cohort of diverse and unique individuals is important to the admissions team. We want you to bring your whole self to Georgetown McDonough. Throughout the application, we’ve learned about what you would add as a professional and leader. Just as important is learning about your interests outside of work. In one minute, please share 5-10 random facts about yourself that are not on your resume and how these facts contribute to who you are as a professional and leader.
- You may use your phone, computer, or other means to record the video, but please ensure all audio and visual components are clear. We recommend a well-lit room and minimal noise distraction.
- The admissions committee would like for you to appear in person during part of your video.
- We recommend unscripted, conversational videos – help us get to know the real you!
- Upload your video to an accessible website (such as YouTube, Vimeo, Youku, or Tudou), and submit the direct video URL into your online application.
- Please note that all videos must remain active and accessible to the admissions committee online for a minimum of five years for record retention purposes.
- For your privacy: Do not include your name in the title of your video. You may submit “unlisted” videos via YouTube or password protected videos through Vimeo. If using a password, please include immediately after your link in the text box below. [Ex: www.youtube.com/123, password: Hoyas]
- Optional Essay: Please provide any information you would like to add to your application that you have not otherwise included (300-350 words, approximately one page, double spaced).
- Re-Applicant Essay: Required for re-applicants. How have you strengthened your candidacy since your last application? We are particularly interested in hearing about how you have grown professionally and personally (300-350 words, approximately one page, double spaced).
How have you progressed in your career and made an impact in your organization? Use this component of the application process to clearly outline your professional experience and accomplishments. Upload a current resume that corresponds to the information submitted in the “Employment” section of your online application. Your resume should clearly identify part-time and internship experience, as well as months and years in each position.
Only one recommendation is required for the Georgetown MBA application. We are interested in gaining insight from someone who can objectively evaluate your professional performance as well as managerial and leadership potential. We discourage letters from university faculty, family members, and additional letters of recommendation. A current supervisor is strongly preferred for Full-time MBA applicants and required of Flex MBA and Flex MBA Online applicants.
To complete the recommendation requirement, your recommender is required to submit a recommendation form. Your recommender will receive this form and detailed instructions once you complete the “Recommendations” section of your application. We recommend allowing your recommender at least one week to complete the form. Your recommender is welcome to attach a letter or Common Letter of Recommendation (LOR) at the bottom of this form.
You are required to submit a $175 non-refundable application fee, payable online via credit card. We are unable to accept personal checks and money orders.
You may receive an application fee waiver if you belong to one of the following groups. Waivers will be applied automatically when you submit your application.
- Active duty, reservists, or veterans of the United States military
- Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT) Fellows
- Forté MBA Launch participants
- Members of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management (CGSM)
- Current and returned Peace Corps Volunteers
- AmeriCorps and Teach for America participants or alumni
- Admit.Me Fellows
- Citizens of countries on the United Nations’ list of least developed countries
- Applicants applying to more than one Georgetown MBA program (Full-time MBA, Flex MBA, and Flex MBA Online programs)*
*Fee waiver only applied to an applicant’s 2nd and 3rd applications. Prior to submitting these applications, please email GeorgetownMBA@georgetown.edu for further instructions.
You automatically qualify for a reduced application fee of $100 if you meet the criteria below:
- Members of Forté
- U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents who earn less than $30,000 per year
- Non-U.S. Citizens who earn less than $15,000 per year in U.S. dollars
Attendees of an event listed below will be eligible to receive an application fee reduction code for the current application cycle. Instructions will be sent via email within three business days of the event. Please apply this code when you complete the application and the reduction will be applied to your account. Only one application fee reduction code may be applied.
- Experience Georgetown Information Session or class visit between July 2022 and June 2023
- On-campus or Virtual MBA Information Session
- Focus on Diversity
- Flex MBA Preview Day
If you have already applied or are applying through the Consortium, then we regrettably cannot refund the amount of the application fee waiver or reduction.
If you are currently furloughed or laid off due to unforeseen national economic circumstances, please reach out to email@example.com for information about application fee waivers.
Interviews are offered by invitation only. Invitations to interview are extended following each application deadline and will continue up until the decision release date.* Additionally, waitlist candidates may be invited to interview after initial decisions are released.
If you submitted an application and received a final decision for the Georgetown MBA Program within the last year and would like to reapply, please email the MBA Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to reset your application account. Please include “Application Reset Request” in the subject line of the email. You will not be able to access the new application until this is completed.
As a re-applicant, you will need to submit the following information:
- A new application
- Test score (view specific program requirements)*
- Essays (including the re-applicant essay)
- Updated resume
- An updated recommendation
* Flex MBA and Flex MBA Online applicants may qualify for a test waiver. Review our Flex MBA and Flex MBA Online test waiver policy.
We are happy to offer our reapplicants the following benefits:
- An application fee waiver
- Personalized coaching between application cycles
- The opportunity to reuse your previous application essays and video essay, as long as they are still relevant and accurate for your MBA candidacy
Students who have attended or graduated from a non-U.S. college or university must submit their academic documents according to World Education Services (WES) standards, as described below.
- Academic transcripts must list the course name and grades received
- A diploma/degree certificate that shows the date that the degree was conferred
- An official grading scale of the academic institution
If your academic documents are in a language other than English, you must submit the certified translation as well as the original documentation for review. Once admitted and prior to matriculating into the program, translators are required to send our office both the original documentation and certified translation in a sealed envelope. Your translator should certify that the original documentation was received in a sealed envelope from the institution.
Demonstration of English Language Proficiency
Applicants who fit the criteria below are required to upload an unofficial English Language Proficiency Exam score report to the online application.
- Non U.S. citizens
- Non U.S. permanent residents
- Applicants who have not obtained a four-year or advanced degree from a university where the only primary medium of instruction was English
You may choose from one of the following three exams to demonstrate your level of competence in English.
- TOEFL – The minimum required score is 250 (computer-based) or 100 (internet-based). Your test result must not be more than two years old. If you are admitted to the program, official scores must be sent directly from ETS to Georgetown University MBA Admissions using ETS Code Number: 5781.
- We now accept MyBest Scores. Test dates on your MyBest Scores report that are older than two years are expired and not valid. All dates must be valid.
- We accept the TOEFL iBT at Test Centers or Home Edition (please note we do NOT accept the TOEFL Essentials at this time)
- IELTS – We accept only academic module results; the minimum required score is 7. Your test result must not be more than two years old. If you are admitted to the program, official scores must be sent directly from Cambridge (IELTS) to Georgetown University MBA Admissions.
- PTE – The minimum required score is 68. Your test result must not be more than two years old. If you are admitted to the program, official scores must be sent directly from Pearson Vue to Georgetown University MBA Admissions.
*Time Zone Verification: The Flex MBA Online (FXO) program is strictly for students who reside in the United States, including international students who have permanent residency in the United States or already reside in the United States on a visa (this program does not sponsor F-1 visas). FXO class times are set to be held on weekdays between 6:30-9:20 p.m. ET (except for required in-person residencies on our Washington, D.C., campus and the Global Business Experience). If you are admitted and enroll to FXO, you are expected to attend classes online according to Eastern Time from any time zone within the United States.
MBA Advanced Access Program
Georgetown McDonough is excited to invite you to participate in our new MBA Advanced Access Program (MAAP), which allows those in their final year of undergraduate or graduate school who have not previously had professional full-time work experience to apply for deferred enrollment into our Full-time MBA Program.
During your deferral period you will gain access to select speakers and events and have the opportunity to engage and learn more about our community.
MAAP Application Deadline
The deadline to apply is with our Round 4 deadline of April 30, 2024, only after which your application will be reviewed. The initial deposit is $500. Each following year until matriculation, you will be asked to reconfirm that you meet enrollment requirements and make any subsequent deposits.