MBA Application Components
Learn More About a Georgetown MBA
All the pieces we need from you to complete our MBA application process
All applications must be submitted through our online application by creating your application account. If you are a visually-impaired applicant and need an accessible application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to assist.
Test Score Requirements: Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) / Graduate Record Exam (GRE)/Executive Assessment
Scores accepted to the Full-time MBA Program include:
- GMAT, GRE, Executive Assessment (valid scores, taken within the last five years)
- Expired GMAT/GRE scores.
Scores accepted to the Flex MBA Program include:
- GMAT, GRE, Executive Assessment (valid scores, taken within the last five years)
- Expired GMAT/GRE scores
- LSAT, MCAT
- Applicants who meet the necessary criteria may apply with a test waiver
Scores accepted to the MAAP MBA Program include:
- GMAT, GRE
To complete your application, you must upload an unofficial, scanned copy of your test score directly into the online application. Official scores only need to be submitted if you are admitted to the program.
GMAT Program Codes
- Full-time MBA Program: JT7-G0-20
- Flex MBA Program: JT-G0-64
If you would like to test your GMAT skills prior to taking the test, then you can take this GMAT mini quiz (new window).
GRE Program Code
- Full-time and Flex MBA Programs: 7821
- The Executive Assessment is specifically designed to evaluate the business school readiness of seasoned professionals. The assessment focuses on skills that are critical both at work and in a professional MBA program: higher-order reasoning, critical thinking, analysis, and problem-solving. Because it was designed specifically for experienced professionals, it requires modest preparation, takes only 90 minutes to complete, and includes flexible rescheduling options. The test is administered by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), creators of the GMAT® exam. Learn more about the Executive Assessment by visiting gmac.com/ea (new window).
You are required to hold a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or an equivalent degree from a foreign country. To complete your application, you must upload unofficial transcripts for all academic coursework you have taken directly into the online application. Please make sure each transcript document includes:
- Course names
- All grades received (including transfer credits and study abroad programs)
- Cumulative GPA
- Degree conferral information
- Grading scale
- For more information on how to submit your grading scale, please view our Grade Scale Guide.
- Degree certificate (international applicants only)
- For more information on submitting your degree certificate, please view our Diploma Guide.
Official transcripts should only be submitted if you are admitted to the program.
Fall 2022 Essays
We want to hear your story. When responding to our required essays, be authentic and take time to reflect on your goals and past experiences. Craft a response that explains how these experiences led you to pursue an MBA.
Our goal at Georgetown McDonough is to craft a diverse class with people who have had varying personal and professional life experiences. As such, we want to give our applicants the opportunity to select one essay (from a list of four) that allows them the ability to best highlight their experiences, characteristics, and values that showcase the value proposition that they can bring to the McDonough community. Please select one of the following four essays to complete in 300-350 words (approximately one page, double spaced) and include the essay prompt and your first/last name at the top of your submission.
- Essay Option One – Principled Leadership: Georgetown McDonough places a strong emphasis on principled leadership, providing both curricular and co-curricular opportunities to strengthen your leadership skills. Describe a time when you have led a team in a professional environment to implement a new idea or process. What leadership characteristics did you utilize? What could you have done to be more effective? And most importantly, what skills will you be able to bring to the teams you lead at McDonough?
- Essay Option Two – Hoyas for the Common Good: Georgetown McDonough embodies the ethos that people and organizations can and should contribute to the greater good. The admissions committee would like to better understand how you have demonstrated these values during uniquely challenging times. Describe a time where you have put the needs of others ahead of your own or ahead of the bottom line. We look forward to learning more about the challenge you faced, what unique characteristics you brought to that scenario, and what you learned from it.
- Essay Option Three – Personal Brand: Think of a business leader or role model you admire or aspire to be. What are the defining characteristics of his or her personal brand that you see in yourself? Give an example of how you have been able to emulate these characteristics in your professional career and how your personal brand will enrich the McDonough community.
- Essay Option Four – The Georgetown Community: Georgetown McDonough is a diverse, global community. We look to understand the contribution that your personal background would make to our community. As appropriate, you may wish to address any obstacles or challenges you have overcome; any educational, familial, cultural, economic, and social experiences that have helped to shape your educational and professional goals; or how your background (e.g. first-generation student, resident outside the U.S.) or activities (e.g. community service and leadership) will contribute to our community.
- Video Essay: What makes you unique? In a one-minute video, describe the most compelling aspects of yourself that you believe make you unique from other MBA candidates. (Hint: one minute goes fast! We already have your resume and goals – share something new!) Use this video as an opportunity to bring life to your application.
- You may use your phone, computer, or other means to record the video, but please ensure all audio and visual components are clear. We recommend a well-lit room and minimal noise distraction.
- The admissions committee would like for you to appear in person during part of your video.
- We recommend unscripted, conversational videos – help us get to know the real you!
- Upload your video to an accessible website (such as YouTube, Vimeo, Youku, or Tudou), and submit the direct video URL into your online application.
- Please note that all videos must remain active and accessible to the admissions committee online for a minimum of five years for record retention purposes.
- For your privacy: Do not include your name in the title of your video. You may submit “unlisted” videos via YouTube or password protected videos through Vimeo. If using a password, please include immediately after your link in the text box below. [Ex: www.youtube.com/123, password: Hoyas]
- Optional Essay: Please provide any information you would like to add to your application that you have not otherwise included (300-350 words, approximately one page, double spaced).
- Re-Applicant Essay: Required for re-applicants. How have you strengthened your candidacy since your last application? We are particularly interested in hearing about how you have grown professionally and personally (300-350 words, approximately one page, double spaced).
How have you progressed in your career and made an impact in your organization? Use this component of the application process to clearly outline your professional experience and accomplishments. Upload a current resume that corresponds to the information submitted in the “Employment” section of your online application. Your resume should clearly identify part-time and internship experience, as well as months and years in each position.
Only one recommendation is required for the Georgetown MBA application. We are interested in gaining insight from someone who can objectively evaluate your professional performance as well as managerial and leadership potential. We discourage letters from university faculty, family members, and additional letters of recommendation. A current supervisor is strongly preferred for Full-time MBA applicants and required of Flex MBA applicants.
Recommenders are required to submit the recommendation forms online and will receive detailed instructions once you complete the “Recommendations” section of your application. The recommender may submit a letter or performance review as part of the online form.
You are required to submit a $175 non-refundable application fee, payable online via credit card. We are unable to accept personal checks and money orders.
You may receive an application fee waiver if you belong to one of the following groups. Waivers will be applied automatically when you submit your application.
- Active duty, reservists, or veterans of the United States military
- Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT) Fellows
- Forté MBA Launch participants
- Members of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management (CGSM)
- Current and returned Peace Corps Volunteers
- AmeriCorps and Teach for America participants or alumni
- Admit.Me Fellows
- Citizens of countries on the United Nations’ list of least developed countries
You automatically qualify for a reduced application fee of $100 if you meet the criteria below:
- Members of Forté
- U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents who earn less than $30,000 per year
- Non-U.S. Citizens who earn less than $15,000 per year in U.S. dollars
Attendees of an event listed below will be eligible to receive an application fee reduction code for the current application cycle. Instructions will be sent via email within three business days of the event. Please apply this code when you complete the application and the reduction will be applied to your account.
- Experience Georgetown information session or class visit between July 2021 and June 2022
- On-campus or Virtual MBA Information Session
- Focus on Diversity
- Flex MBA Preview Day
If you have already applied or are applying through the Consortium, then we regrettably cannot refund the amount of the application fee waiver or reduction.
If you are currently furloughed or laid off due to the COVID-19 pandemic, then please reach out to email@example.com for information about application fee waivers.
Interviews are offered by invitation only. Invitations to interview are extended following each application deadline and will continue up until the decision release date. Additionally, waitlist candidates may be invited to interview after initial decisions are released.
*International applicants are required to submit additional application components