MBA Application Components
All the pieces we need from you to complete our MBA application process
All applications must be submitted through our online application (new window). Click here to create your application account. If you are a visually-impaired applicant and need an accessible application, please contact us at email@example.com and we’d be happy to assist.
Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) / Graduate Record Exam (GRE)/Executive Assessment
All applicants are required to take either the GMAT or GRE. To complete your application, you must upload an unofficial, scanned copy of your test score (no more than five years old) directly into the online application. Official scores only need to be submitted if you are admitted to the program.
GMAT Program Codes
- Full-time MBA Program: JT7-G0-20
- Flex MBA Program: JT-G0-64
If you would like to test your GMAT skills prior to taking the test, you can take this GMAT mini quiz.
GRE Program Code
- Full-time and Flex MBA Programs: 7821
- Flex MBA applicants with 7 or more years of full-time work experience and an undergraduate GPA of 3.3 or greater are able to take the Executive Assessment. The Executive Assessment is specifically designed to evaluate the business school readiness of seasoned professionals. The assessment focuses on skills that are critical both at work and in a professional MBA program: higher order reasoning, critical thinking, analysis, and problem-solving. Because it was designed specifically for experienced professionals, it requires modest preparation, takes only 90 minutes to complete, and includes flexible rescheduling options. The test is administered by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), creators of the GMAT® exam. Learn more about the Executive Assessment by visiting gmac.com/ea.
You are required to hold a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or an equivalent degree from a foreign country. To complete your application, you must upload unofficial transcripts for all academic coursework you’ve taken directly into the online application. Please make sure each transcript document includes:
- course names
- all grades received (including transfer credits and study abroad programs)
- cumulative GPA
- degree conferral information
- grading scale
- For more information on how to submit your grading scale, please view our Grade Scale Guide.
- degree certificate (international applicants only)
- For more information on submitting your degree certificate, please view our Diploma Guide.
Official transcripts should only be submitted if you are admitted to the program.
We want to hear your story. When responding to our required essays, be authentic and take time to reflect on your goals and past experiences. Craft a response that explains how these experiences led you to pursue an MBA.
Our goal at Georgetown McDonough is to craft a diverse class with people who have had varying personal and professional life experiences. As such, we want to give our applicants the opportunity to select one essay (from a list of three) that allows them the ability to best highlight their experiences, characteristics, and values that showcase the value proposition that they can bring to the McDonough community. Please select one of the following three essays to complete in 500 words or less and include the essay prompt and your first/last name at the top of your submission.
- Essay Option One: It can be said that life begins outside your comfort zone. Describe a situation when you were asked to lead outside of your comfort zone. What leadership characteristics did you exemplify in this situation that allowed you to succeed?
- Essay Option Two: “Failure is not something to be ashamed of, it’s something to be POWERED by. Failure is the high-octane fuel your life can run on. You’ve got to learn to make failure your fuel.” -Abby Wambach.
Describe a situation when failure has been your fuel. What was your failure (or when did you not succeed to your full potential), and how did you use this as motivation to move forward and be successful in a future situation?
- Essay Option Three: Think of the business leader or role model you admire or aspire to be. What are the defining characteristics of their personal brand that you see in yourself, why would you highlight those qualities, and how will those characteristics enrich the community at McDonough?
- Video Essay: We ask that you introduce yourself to your cohort in one minute or less. The Admissions Committee would like for you to appear in person during part of your video, and we strongly encourage you to speak outside of the experiences we can read on your resume. Use this video as an opportunity to bring life to your application. For more instructions, view our Video Essay Guide.
- You may use your phone, computer, or other means to record the video, but please ensure all audio and visual components are clear. We recommend a well-lit room and minimal noise distraction.
- Upload your video to an accessible website (such as Youtube, Vimeo, Youku, or Tudou), and submit the direct video URL into your online application.
- Please note that all videos must remain active and accessible to the admissions committee online for a minimum of five years for record retention purposes.
- For your privacy: Do not include your name in the title of your video. You may submit “unlisted” videos via Youtube or password protected videos through Vimeo. If using a password, please include immediately after your link in the text box below. [Ex: www.youtube.com/123, password: Hoyas]
- Optional Essay: Please provide any information you would like to add to your application that you have not otherwise included. (500 words or fewer)
- Re-Applicant Essay: Required for re-applicants. How have you strengthened your candidacy since your last application? We are particularly interested in hearing about how you have grown professionally and personally. (500 words or fewer)
How have you progressed in your career and made an impact in your organization? Use this component of the application process to clearly outline your professional experience and accomplishments. Upload a current resume that corresponds to the information submitted in the “Employment” section of your online application. Your resume should clearly identify part-time and internship experience, as well as months and years in each position.
Only one recommendation is required for the Georgetown MBA application. We are interested in gaining insight from someone who can objectively evaluate your professional performance as well as managerial and leadership potential. We discourage letters from university faculty, family members, and additional letters of recommendation. A current supervisor is strongly preferred for Full-time MBA applicants and required of Flex MBA applicants.
Recommenders are required to submit the recommendation forms online and will receive detailed instructions once you complete the “Recommendations” section of your application. The recommender may submit a letter or performance review as part of the online form.
You are required to submit a $175 non-refundable application fee, payable online via credit card. We are unable to accept personal checks and money orders.
You may receive an application fee waiver if you belong to one of the following groups. Waivers will be applied automatically when you submit your application.
- Active duty, reservists, or veterans of the United States military
- Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT) Fellows
- Forté MBA Launch participants
- Members of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management (CGSM)
- Current and returned Peace Corps Volunteers
- AmeriCorps and Teach for America participants or alumni
You automatically qualify for a reduced application fee of $100 if you meet the criteria below:
- Members of the Forté
Attendees of an event listed below will receive an application fee reduction code via email. Please apply this code when you complete the application and the reduction will be applied to your account.
- Experience Georgetown information session or class visit between July 2019 and March 2020
- On-campus MBA Information Session
- Focus on Diversity
- Flex MBA Program Preview Day
If you have already applied, or are applying through the Consortium, we regrettably cannot refund the amount of the application fee waiver or reduction.
Interviews are offered by invitation only. Invitations to interview are extended following each application deadline and will continue up until the decision release date. Additionally, waitlist candidates may be invited to interview after initial decisions are released.
*International applicants are required to submit additional application components